Spring Cleaning – Make Sure That Your Dog or Cat is Safe!
Did you know that thousands of pets in the Greater Vancouver area are rushed into an emergency veterinary clinic or die as a result of accidental poisoning around the home? In many cases the cause of poisoning is from simple household products that are used for cleaning. The numbers are alarming, especially when you consider that a little knowledge and prevention can make such a dramatic difference.
We all want a clean home, but your pet doesn’t understand that some cleaners are toxic to them and most pets are curious by nature. Keep reading to learn how a little knowledge can help save your pet from accidental poison ingestion and to learn about the Jet Pet Resort difference – how we clean our luxury boarding facility or our hotel for dogs and cats without any harsh chemicals or treatments whatsoever.
Many if not most household cleaning products are often highly poisonous to living tissues and if a dog or cat eats or becomes otherwise exposed to the chemicals in the cleaner, there is a high likelihood they will become very ill. There are literally hundreds of home cleaners available to consumers. Items such as bleach, detergents, toilet bowl cleaners, caustics (Drano™, Ajax™), pine oils and many others. But how?
These cleaners can harm your pet by:
- Absorbing into your pet’s bloodstream and causing generalized illness.
- Harm or destroy your pet’s tissue on contact by acid or alkaline burns.
- Dissolving through tissue membranes.
- Pine oils and electric dish-washing detergents particularly tend to be quite toxic although the range of chemicals included in cleaning products can cause signs varying widely from:
- Mild local irritation (many detergent soaps).
- Deep penetrating tissue damage (alkaline products).
- Severe systemic disease (pine oils and others).
Remember, the best remedy is always prevention.
- Keep pets out of newly cleaned areas to avoid paw injuries from walking in the newly applied cleaning solution and mouth burns from the animal then grooming itself.
- Keep all cleaners tightly closed when not in use to prevent accidental spills and ingestion.
- Be aware of the possible dangers of toilet bowl cleaners from dogs and cats who consider the toilet just another water bowl!
In case of accidental exposure to any cleaning product, it is generally recommended to flush the skin (or mouth) with plain water to wash away the remaining chemicals and then call into your veterinary clinic for further instructions.
The Jet Pet Resort Difference
Jet Pet Resort is proud to be the first (and as far as we know the only) pet hotel, daycare and pet spa in Canada to be 100% chemical-free. We utilize the Lotus Pro™ water system to go far beyond simply being a ‘green’ company.
Our water system is 100% non-toxic and allows us to clean, sanitize and deodorize virtually every surface in one step – with water! There is no residue or harmful vapours and the chances of your pet developing skin irritations from a harsh chemical are all but eliminated. We take great pride in creating not only a clean space but offering a truly safe environment for your pet during their stay at Jet Pet Resort. It makes us wonder, what are the dog kennels in Vancouver using and do you really feel confident now leaving your dog or cat anywhere but Jet Pet Resort?